New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any info on the LMS goods sheds that used to be in Tredegar? Where was it? when was it pulled down (if indeed it has) ?

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:14:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Does anybody have any info on the LMS goods sheds that used to be in Tredegar? Where was it? when was it pulled down (if indeed it has) ?

Hi I cannot remember a goods shed at Tredegar there was a goods siding,But no storage building.
however there was a goods shed at Sirhowy of LNWR design as seen in photograps of the station The local expert on tredegar station is Gerald Davies maybe he could enlighten us?

Edited by - uncle bob on 04/09/2010 10:18:25
Go to Top of Page

eddiejen
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  16:10:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a good yard at sirhowy and was later used as a warehouse for Sunblest bread.

The station master house was roughly where the ambulance station starts, the stone arch where you used to enter the house from the road can still be seen.

There was also a good storage shed where the post office sorting office is located, It was made out of tin sheeting and painted black.

Hope this helps !!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  19:08:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Uncle Bob & EddieJen, that is a great help.

I beleive I've got a picture of it, will post soon :o)

Pierre

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  19:28:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's a pre 1940 pic of Sirhowy Station.
Could the building on the left be the goods shed?

Go to Top of Page

eddiejen
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  21:12:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! behind that was the house. We used to play one the platforms when they were still there. Who can remember the railway bridge halfway up Sirhowy hill and the track heading over to number nine? There used to be a chip shop near by!
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  21:28:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Who can remember the railway bridge halfway up Sirhowy hill and the track heading over to number nine? There used to be a chip shop near by!

I remember it well Eddie.
I lived in 15 Beaufort Road just by the bridge.
The chip shop was on the corner further up and was owned by Phil (can't remember surname)
Phil also had a smallholding across the road where he kept pigs - they would recycle the potato peelings!
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  19:56:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...........As I remember the goods shed had "Scottish" written on the side in big white lettering, facing what is now the garage. Probably "London" & "Midland" had suffered the ravages of time by the late 60's.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  20:21:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, you have been a great help.

I found the picture :o)

Peregrine, thats one heck of a memory you got !

eddiejen
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  20:44:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stationmasters house was by the lampost (by the yellow building)

I remember playing around there when Sunblest left!!

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  22:00:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would that have been where Mr Dickinson the undertaker worked from in later years ?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  20:07:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Vall for doing some tricks with the photo of the shed for us :o)

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  17:59:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello i think the chip shop was run by jack phillips and his wife.
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  23:38:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
hello i think the chip shop was run by jack phillips and his wife.

Maybe....depends when.
I'm talking around 1950 - it was definitely run by Phil ?.
My best friend in those days was Bernard Harris - his mother was Phil's sister and she worked there.
We would often call in and get a free bag of "scrumps".
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  18:55:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct Ken
Jack Phillips was a few years later, a well known boxer and gentleman fought Eddie Thomas in 1948

After a brilliant amateur career during which he won the A.B.A. Lightweight title in 1946, Eddie Thomas turned professional immediately recording 6 straight wins that year. Two years later Eddie secured his first title by taking the Welsh welterweight championship in a 10 round decision over Jack Phillips. Prior to winning the Welsh title Eddie had lost two of his previous 14 fights but the confidence that comes with winning a title set him on the road to a winning streak of 22 fights which was to take in the championships of Britain and Europe.
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  22:27:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Morgan
I've spoken to my sister...
You're right....Jack ran the chip shop some time after Phil.
I'd almost forgotten Jack - he was a well known Sirhowy character - as was his father Tommy (Fiddler) Phillips, although that's going back a bit before my time.
Here's a pic of Jack in his heyday:

Edited by - KenJ on 15/09/2010 22:33:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.