Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  19:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
September 2010.
Thought they were going to pull this down ?

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  21:39:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the time that building has been there i have never been in there often wonder what it looks like inside.
Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

339 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  21:41:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by the look of the out side, not very good
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  22:26:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went in there about 20 years ago , big rooms with high ceilings they where very spartan robust and pretty much probably how they had been for donkeys years. Very interesting buildings , i thought they should have been listed buildings ,i also thought this 5.6 million pound or probably more would more than have covered restoring these as well ?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  17:02:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A number of "cottage-homers" went to the Grammar School and did pretty well. I recall Eddie Jones and Graham Treharne. Many of them were really good lads whose parents had some misfortune
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  19:05:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We Had a boy in class in earl st from there nicknamed 'punch'he could to.little bugger was hard as nails but a nice boy.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  21:24:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarkus

We Had a boy in class in earl st from there nicknamed 'punch'he could to.little bugger was hard as nails but a nice boy.

i remember the name punch but i cant put a face to him or his name
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  21:48:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All boys from the Cottage Homes went to Earl St, I believe. There was a black boy named Flicka; unusual for we Tredegarites since there were no Black people in the town.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  22:02:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

All boys from the Cottage Homes went to Earl St, I believe. There was a black boy named Flicka; unusual for we Tredegarites since there were no Black people in the town.

what about the gentleman called mr wilson?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  14:54:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right and I recalled that afterwards! He was known as "Darkie Wilson" and was regarded as a true gentleman by all who knew and worked with him (he was a miner, I believe) I think "Brown Bomber" was his son. He drove buses for Charlie Hill,
Old age doesnt let us remember everything.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  17:28:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horace wilson

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  13:57:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of horace's father George Wilson who was indeed a coal miner and a damn good banjo player he lived at Tabernacle cottages in Dukestown.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  17:39:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only a pup, i can only go as far back as horace

Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

339 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  20:31:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i see that the new building is almost done.

who will move in and when ?
Go to Top of Page

Sweetiepie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  11:48:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there also from 1955 to 1959 ,i remember a lady we called nannie that we all loved. I recently went back in February this year and I was shown around by the site manager , he recalled that a gentleman had also called in to look around that may or not be Mr. Wilson Jnr. I would love to hear from anyone who has memories of living there also.

S Frampton
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  17:43:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sweetiepie
Check out the post by Vernon Flicker which is in Guest Book Forum 2/10/2011 he was at the homes from 1936---48

morgan
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  21:07:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, here is an update on the cottage homes site.

Look at the first picture, then look at the photo below.

Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  22:00:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know what the inside of the new buildings is like, but it seems that they have made at least a reasonable attempt to capture the outside appearance.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  18:00:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just going through a a few photo's and came across one of my Grandfather with the said 'Darkie Wilson' The photo was taken at a fancy dress night at the RAFA Club when it was in Lower Salisbury St, now the Bowls club I believe.
Don't know who the gent on the left is, (anyone any ideas?) My Grandfather Tom Walters is on the right
Second picture taken on the same evening but who's the lady?

Can't upload images so will send them to Pierre.

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  19:12:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Titch for the photo's

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  20:36:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Titch, Did you ever have that feeling, that, Man could have had boot polish on his face ..? after all ; Their Hands All looked a Similar Shade, And it Did look like a fancy dress party .. ??
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  21:14:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there when he made up for that very evening, I remember it well, must have been about 1959 / 60 ish. He used stage makeup (greasepaint) as he and 3 of his sons had been in the Kentucky Minstrels for many years. I used to sit in the 'kitchen' and watch him blacking up it was fascinating to watch him putting on the white lips and white around the eye.

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  21:28:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darkie was genuine no need for makeup, a lovely and well liked man, I think he had a son but I can't remember his name.

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  21:52:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darky's son - wasn't he Tony?
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  21:54:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horace Wilson and his family lived in Twyn Star, Dukestown. I think he had 3 sons and at least 2 daughters. The eldest son is Tony and youngest nicknamed "Sooty".
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  23:14:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Does anyone know the woman and the other gent in the pictures?

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.