New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  14:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thank you to Milkman for sending in this paper clip showing Nye's house in Charles street in 1978......

Thank You

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:32:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thank you to milkman for doing his magic with photo-shop to make the image above sharper for us all :o)
Go to Top of Page

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  13:32:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Gt Gt Grandfather lived next door. No 33. The Lady stood on the door step is Mary Collard. Known as Auntie Mary. She is cleaning the windows and talking to a neighbour My Gt Gt Grandfather John Collard Would be ill in bed Just behind the chair. I May have a few pics of the back of the house as well.

Thanks Darren
Go to Top of Page

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  13:35:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya again

Dont think this is 1978 tho

Darren
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1633 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  16:38:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right. The pic appeared in The Listener in 1978. It didnt say when the photo was taken.
If anyone has any idea that would be useful. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1137 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  19:41:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
......late sixties, very early 70's at the latest, I'd say. Womans skirt my only clue there.

Go to Top of Page

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  09:43:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do i add a Photo to my Message?
Go to Top of Page

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:00:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems better in this Photo, than a newspaper clipping i hav from 1974.
Headlined " Forgotten Folk of Nyes Street" talking of the conditions the last two families were living in, While waiting for the council to rehome them. Looks like Nos 28 and 29 were the last to leave.
Go to Top of Page

Webteam
Webteam

23582 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:43:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djunna

How do i add a Photo to my Message?

Hello,

if you can e-mail to webteam@tredeagr.co.uk , we can do it for you

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  17:06:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I do have 2 Photos but the one is a really good Photo of the front of No 33 at about 1912 and the 2nd is of the back of 33 in about 1955.

Darren
Go to Top of Page

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:19:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried to send pics, Didnt work, is email correct? they bounced back.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:46:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
webteam@tredegar.co.uk Try this address
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:48:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fredd, you got it right. I'll have a word with the fingers of the web team.

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  11:43:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There must be an easier and much quicker way to upload a pic to this forum yourself?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  15:05:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, via the gallery in the upland section. It still needs t be approved before its allowed to be posted because local children use the site.

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  16:37:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to djunna for taking the time to send in the below picture

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  23:16:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little girl is Beatrice Collard born around 1909. Her older sister was my Gt Grandmother Lena born in the same house in 1901. She Played with Nye as kids. Her Family ran a Butchers in Commercial St. No 56 i think.

Darren
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  20:45:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one great photo you got Darren, your one lucky person :o)
Go to Top of Page

robertdafydd

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  19:41:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darren, I wonder if you could help me. I'm preparing a permanent exhibition for the UNISON Cymru headquarters in Cardiff on Welsh working-class history. A whole room in the exhibition features the life of Nye Bevan in text and photographs. I'd like to use your pic of Charles Street with Beatrice Collard. If you are happy for me to do so, could you supply a copy with the highest possible resolution? Can anyone else help me. My email address is robertdafydd@aol.com. Many thanks, great site, Rob Griffiths

rdgriffiths
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

250 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  23:23:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity. Is Nye's house still standing at present? What is the house number if so?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1633 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  12:21:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievably they demolished it.
There were a number of spots in Tred of historic interest that are no more
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

250 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  18:55:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's truly a shame.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1633 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  19:17:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should stop writing so much!!!
Nyw's house was rather better than these two pics show. It was not an ordinary terraced house of the 1800s but was larger and actually kept in good condition .
Michael Foot described the hose and family in his biography of Nye; I seem to recall that Nye's dad was a foreman or possibly lower level manager, certainly Nye, his brother Bill and sister(s) all did quite well
Bill was a businessman abd a County Councillor, the sister married a Mr Norris and lived in lower Queen St opposite the cash machine in Barclays bank.I think I sent a picture of Nye's house taken from The Listener some years ago. It may be in the archives
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.