Genealogy: Sadler family: Tredegar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

mhsadler

Spain
1 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  14:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am descended from the Sadler family from Tredegar, my Grandfather, George Henry born. 1908. He was a survivor of the pit disaster of the late 20´s and vowed never to go down the pit again. He left Tredegar for London working as a labourer and earning extra as a bare knuckle boxer and bouncer before joining the Police. Apparently he sparred with Jimmy Wilde and Tommy Farr, so my uncle told me, he was a member of the Tonypandy boxing stable. There was a marriage between the Wilde and the Sadler family, I don´t know which member of the family exactly. Apart from boxing, he was a keen rugby player.

The family I was told lived next door to Nye Bevin at 6. Queen Victoria St, the houses have since disappeared. My g-grandfather (also George) was a miner, the job description for my g-grandfather was a `donkey´, a coal holier. . He lived into his 90s, he was a smoker and drinker as were the community at the time. His wife, Margaret Rowena Palmer is buried at Cefn Golau

My g –uncle Richard Sadler (Dick and wife Mary Ann) lived at Troedyrhiw, apparently there was one road and he lived at number 67. He was gassed during the Battle of the Somme, luckily survived, later worked in a theatre. My dad spent a month there during the war, and his uncle Dick took him into the pub there. My dad asked for a pint of cider. A 14 year old asking for a cider, Uncle Dick didn´t think my dad would finish it…..but he did, and quite quickly. “You’re a Welshman at heart ain´t you” he said with astonishment.

Dick had a brother Tom who lived at Aberbargoed, possibly at Heol Tyr-y-llan.

I am writing to find out if there are records or any Sadlers living in Tredegar…….
Yet again there is another pit disaster, this time in New Zealand.

Regards, Mark Sadler
Granada, SPAIN

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  16:01:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

At the time of the 1881 census there were two families of Sadlers living at 27 and 30 Queen Street, Tredegar.

No. 30.

George Sadler Iron Miner aged 50

Rachael Sadler wife aged 43

Lizzie Sadler dau. 19 Coal Unloader.

No.27.

John Sadler Roller of Iron aged 48

Elizabeth Sadler Wife aged 37

Thomas J Sadler son aged 16 Collier

Charles Sadler Son aged 13 Fire Works Iron

Annie Sadler Dau. aged 11

Elizabeth Sadler Dau. aged 3

Perhaps someone else who has access to later censuses might help.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  17:21:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew a Mr G Sadler who lived either next door or most probably next door but one down from the Sirhowy Inn, also the houses you mentioned on queen victoria st,are still there,
Go to Top of Page

ausconsult

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  12:40:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,When I was a child I had an uncle called Dicky Sadler from my recolection he lived on the opposite side of the Valley to Troedrhigwair I think they were called Bedwelty houses. The farm which brewed their own cider was called Marges Farm apparently the Scrumpy was very strong so I understand that comment. I remember Dicky quite vividly he visited my Grand Parents Ted and Gladys Schofield at 32, Kimberly Terrace Georgetown. I hope this is some help in your quest and if I am able to help further I will only be to pleased to help.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2020 :  16:06:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark
I know this is 10 years on, but just by chance I came across your Mail. I am also related to the Sadler side, my father Graham Sadlers grandfather was George and grandmother Rowena Margaret Palmer . I am in Tredegar at the moment so if you want any photos just let me know, that’s if this gets to you
Catherine
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.