Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Life in a Quarry Village - 1951 (Trefil)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  17:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every now and again we are lucky enough to receive a real classic from Tredegars past, and this is one of them times.

Trefilboy has kindly sent in "Life in a Quarry Village "from 1951.

All the pages are now in a dedicated section in the gallery:

goto gallery, then Town Photos > Trifil > Life in a Quarry Village

or click here.

Again, many thanks to Trefilboy for taking the time to send in all the info

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  18:28:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff!

Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5380 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  18:41:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must certainly agree myself ,thank you Trefilboy .
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  19:40:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!
I'm sure that my dad used to get The Ingot (although it doesn't look like he kept any copies). Was it the RTB steelworks house magazine?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  20:28:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well That was a hidden Gem wasn't it Fairplay.... !.Ive never seen one before , was it monthly or annually ? Thinking about it again it must have been a different Hamlet/village in every edition ..??..Thank You Trefilboy for sharing it with us .!.
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  20:37:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pictures on pages 11 and 12 are particularly interesting. The excavator, with its curved corrugated iron roof and superstructure supporting cables for the jib and bucket looks like a "steam shovel" straight out of the 19th century.

Could is still have been a steam excavator, in 1951?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

old gel1

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  22:58:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at the trefil photos and found them very interesting. My Grandad drove the tram in the quarry and i still have family up there now.Although i dont know them as we lost touch when my Bamp died. So naturally, i find all aspects of quarry life intriguing.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5380 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  23:06:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats very interesting Old gel 1 ,have you got any photographs?
Go to Top of Page

old gel1

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  23:26:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i only have one of my bamp stood alongside some kind of vehicle in the quarry cupcake. but being a computer novice i am not sure how to upload it onto here.i have a pic on a disc.
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  01:56:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a Christmas present to see that you liked the photos. Although I have the original magazine which was published by RTB, and I actually remember looking at it when it came out, I decided to post the photo's after losing some of my family this year.
My Grandfather was the Manager of the Quarry - Thomas Evans, and my Grandmother kept the Post Office. I have so many memories of the Post Office - My Aunt Gwyneth Williams was the teacher in the school photo and two of my cousins Mair and Nigel are in the photo. By the way - did you notice that the road through the village was unpaved.
Just another note for any oldtimers from Trefil. Does anyone on here know that the Post Office was actually was built over some arches and according to stories from my Dad and others he remembered some families living in the arches under the Post Office. - I really find it hard to imagine what life was like back then.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  02:03:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you mention the excavator - my Uncle Tom Perkins drove one of the excavators (or navvies as they were called then), and if I remember correctly the were driven by "blast" or compressed air.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5380 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  08:08:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are like me Old gel 1 ,i m a beginner to all this ,its crazy sometimes my nine year old granddaughter shows me what to do ! Also i d like to say it was a pleasure to look at them priceless photographs and read what you said ,a big thank you trefilboy for sharing this with us all ,and have a very Merry Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2409 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  17:29:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather was from Trefil so dad has enjoyed viewing the photos.

Many thanks from us all
Go to Top of Page

judaki
Advanced Member

Greece
219 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  20:15:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I've said it before, but this has to be my favourite part of this whole site. Never mind all the shenanigens and toings & froings of the other topics this is the best bar none! My ex sister in law and her late husband Ralph Keyes ran The Top House for several years. Had some happy times up there.
J
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  21:02:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Parents were friendly with Sergeant Ralph Keys / Keyes ,That was probably in the late sixties or the early seventies , who did run the Quarry Mens Arms or better known as The Top House ..
Go to Top of Page

judaki
Advanced Member

Greece
219 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  22:03:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph Keyes was married to my ex-sister-in law Margaret who still lives in Tredegar and still in touch. I was married to Margaret's brother Frank Thomas. Their father Les is approaching his 99th birthday in June. Funnily enough many years later my first inspector after I joined Gwent Police in 1993 was Ralph's brother Peter Keyes at Brynmawr Police Station. He has also sadly passed away.

J
Go to Top of Page

Tal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  10:09:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for posting these pictures. I saw an original version at Tredegar Library a few years back whilst researching my family history. Trefiboy - was your grandfather known as Tom Sam - Thomas Samuel Evans 1883-1963? Its taken me ages to work out all the family connections in Trefil primarily because everyone there seems to be inter-related. I visited Rock Cottage [the old post office] & met a wonderful old lady who was one of Tom Sam's daughters back c2007. More than happy to share what I know about the Evans & Williams families. Also interested if anyone knows anything about a Sidney Hughes - born c1903 he was living at Rock Cottages on the 1911 census with his mother Jane [1864 - apparently died bef 1912] & father David Hughes [1854-1912 - died at the King's Arms pub!).
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  02:44:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tal - my grandfather was Tom Evans and lived in the Post Office (Rock Cottage). That was my Aunt Ivy that you met. After my Grandmother died, Ivy kept the Post Office until about 10 yrs ago. She passed away last year, and as you said - a wonderful lady.
Are you an Evans and related? If so , what's the connection?
By the way - there were at least 2 separate Evans families living in Trefil, and although there my have been some intermarrying, they were not related.
I have an Uncle who is 93 now with a fantastic memory, and I asked him about the Hughes'. He did not know them. Earlier in this post I mentioned that the Post Office was built over some arches and some families lived there. Do you know if they lived in Rock Cottage or "below"?

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.