Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  20:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bedwellty Park & House are going to re-open on the 30th of April, and May the 1st 2011. The staff at the park are planning to gather peoples memories of the park and house.

Please write any you have (or e-mail us here), and we will send in the comments to the team at Bedwellty house.

Thanks

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  21:45:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the fabulous outdoor swimming baths that was created/built by Our Ancestors ,And well Loved by All locals, and also from all the visitors that came From near and afar... ??
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  15:05:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always remember that the gardens were lovely, and the parrots always used to get out :-)

xtype
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
356 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  15:10:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope they are going to look after the place this time it was a shame to the town how they let that wonderful place get so run down somebody should have had a big kick up the ass for that
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5379 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  17:18:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

I always remember that the gardens were lovely, and the parrots always used to get out :-)

Use to spend hours there as a young child with our sandwiches and pop ,it use to be a real pleasure
Go to Top of Page

theduch

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  18:11:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the Sunday afternoon tea parties that each organisation took it in turn to host. The Thespians and Tremaryon singers did it regularly, they were hard work but great fun.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:02:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xtype

i hope they are going to look after the place this time it was a shame to the town how they let that wonderful place get so run down somebody should have had a big kick up the ass for that

...I can remember seeing Scumbags in there on scrambler motorbikes ripping and tearing the place to shreds and trying to seek attention...What really could the General Public or Park workers do about that......
Go to Top of Page

xtype
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
356 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:39:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can see your point fredd but what i remember of it last going off was there was hardley any workes in the place and not to many people using it ether i think most people would use it as a short cut from the top of town to georgetown but maybe this time there would be enough workers in there to stop things from going on like enough to say hey we got morons in on bikes lets get someone on each gate and lock them in till the police arrive
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  20:11:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by xtype

i can see your point fredd but what i remember of it last going off was there was hardley any workes in the place and not to many people using it ether i think most people would use it as a short cut from the top of town to georgetown but maybe this time there would be enough workers in there to stop things from going on like enough to say hey we got morons in on bikes lets get someone on each gate and lock them in till the police arrive
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  09:59:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not long to go not till its open again :o)

Cannot come soon enough, its been a long wait......

llanover

Australia
1095 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  22:21:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the peacocks? We used to wait fot ages to see if they'd open their tails....

Queueing for ages to get into the pool, the lovely swans and cygnets, all the daffs in the springtime, funny little grottos tucked under the trees......
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  23:25:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Park will Never stand in the shadow of It's Former Glory , Theres not going to be any Swiming Baths , No Cottage Homes, No Park keepers cottage, Probably no Hospital, i think the lists maybe endless..!!!
Go to Top of Page

annied

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  11:41:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Black Swans in their pool, the swimming pool, the little play area with swings etc. My nana used to take every so often.. I think she liked to gossip with folk... I was her excuse sometimes. LOL I really liked the swans and the coal 'lump'...
I was only 8.5 yrs old then.... Heavens .. that's awhile ago...
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5379 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  12:30:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llanover

What about the peacocks? We used to wait fot ages to see if they'd open their tails....

Queueing for ages to get into the pool, the lovely swans and cygnets, all the daffs in the springtime, funny little grottos tucked under the trees......

The peacocks were stunning ,is the new park going to have all these beautiful things ?
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  13:32:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cupcake

The peacocks were stunning ,is the new park going to have all these beautiful things ?

They might have been nice to look at, but the racket they made was enough to wake me up at silly o'clock on many a summer's morning - I lived in Park Row, opposite the hospital, and the sound carried all the way from the park.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  18:57:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the drinking water tap near the entrance to the swimming pool in the park? It was an elaborate brick pedestal with an insert containing the tap and to which a drinking cup was attached by a heavy chain, all made or brass. (may have been bronze). One couldn't access the tap without using the cup provided or by using a seperate container. Would not be very hygenic by todays standards but used by many for several years including myself. Probably installed when Bedwelty house was privately occupied.. The men's toilet inside the park was also a very elaborate affair , an octagonal building with a glass roof, white tiled walls and floor etc. Always (in my memory ) immaculate with an ample supply of toilet paper. In common with all public toilets (then, may be different today) the toilet paper was "IZAL", only slightly removed from polished cardboard but it served the purpose.
Also how many remember when tooth paste came in tubes similar to those available today but made of pure lead. Soldiers used to save empty tubes, roll them up then attach several to a piece of string, forming a "necklace" to be placed inside their trousers when wearing gaiters so that the cloth above the gaiters would result in a "blouse" effect, creating a very smart appearance. Nowadays contact with lead is to be avoided at all costs. Hard then to believe that at one time it is safe to say that in every house in Tredegar (and elsewhre ) water for domestic use and consumption came into the home via pure lead pipes. True also that at one time all exterior paint contained lead. My father used to buy "white lead" then the basic ingredient of exterior paint and which looked very much like putty. This had to be mixed with linseed oil and a colourant to create paint. Mixing by hand with no power tools was a very laborious task and could take hours to produce ready to use paint.
Back to the park; in the 30's and until the last war there was an old cannon on display in the park I have seen photos of it complete with its wheels but I can only remember it after the wheels were removed. After the first war ended in 1918 it was common to provide every town with a war relic, usually a cannon or similar but in the park in Bargoed was a very large tank. All such relics were collected when the last war started and used for the war effort.
I have no recollection of peacocks in the park but then it was my "playground" in the 30's and early 40's so maybe they came after that. I rarely went to the park in winter or on rainy days so all, or nearly all my memories of the park occurred on warm sunny days and therefore much more memorable. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5379 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  19:11:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a very interesting post ,thank you Emrys for sharing them lovely memories with us
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  19:29:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of them :o)

old gel1

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  20:21:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as a forty something, i remember my mam taking us down to the park as little ones. I loved the peacocks but by far my fovourite was the old fort.my siblings and I would spend many happy hours down there. As we got older we used the swimming pool regular. I can remember my mother (who had a drinking problem at that time) calling into the baths one sunny day after spending the early afternoon in the bush. she lay down on the grass & promptly fell asleep.she came home to us with her right side sunburned & her left still white! it was hilarious!
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5379 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  12:36:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been told they have run out of money to carry on the work on Bedwellty House ,do anyone know anymore about this ? That is so dissipointing !!!
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2140 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  14:35:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cupcake are you serious? Can i ask where/who you heard that if you don't mind?[sorry if i sound a bit rude don't mean to, just the red mist decended when i read that lol.] You mean to tell me that BGCBC have had 5 OR 6.sumut million and they haven't got the job done on that? If this is correct what /where the hell has all that money gone,surely a quote for all aspect's of the work had been done before they started and every penny accounted for and a little bit put aside in case of any problems that might arise.See i'm off on one again, please can someone tell us if this is right and they i can decide if i'm gonna go full off on one or not.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  14:43:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kay16

Cupcake are you serious? Can i ask where/who you heard that if you don't mind?[sorry if i sound a bit rude don't mean to, just the red mist decended when i read that lol.] You mean to tell me that BGCBC have had 5 OR 6.sumut million and they haven't got the job done on that? If this is correct what /where the hell has all that money gone,surely a quote for all aspect's of the work had been done before they started and every penny accounted for and a little bit put aside in case of any problems that might arise.See i'm off on one again, please can someone tell us if this is right and they i can decide if i'm gonna go full off on one or not.

Someones having a good holiday out of it
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5379 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  15:19:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi kay16 ,my friend told me ,her husband got told ,i can t say if its true because its just what i ve heard ,i hope its not true because if it is ,like everyone else have said ,where as only the money gone ?Why start doing something and then running out of money ?Only time will tell ,when does it suppose to re-open ,does anyone know ?Like numerous people have said will it ever be like the beautiful place where you would spend hours and hours ?
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  15:36:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xtype

I fully agree with xtype, bikers have had bad press but has anyone come up with the idea of a place the idiots can go legally?
I am not a biker but it would not be better to not see scramblers not going cutting up beauty spots, and have their own place to use exclusively? There must be some such space somewhere, and it could even make money if run properly
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  15:46:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They'd still do it Bob.!their attention seekers , havent you seen them racing around town doing wheelies with no crash helmets, licences, insurance etc
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  18:48:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would the team consider of inhancing the war memorial,sort of make it into an enclosed garden with it's own gates.the enclosing wall made out of thick slabs of highly polish welsh slate with every tredegar person name who have fought from crimea(colenso terc) to present day,it is possible that the burma star assoc and the royal regement might want to have their own 'slab'.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.