pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  16:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Trefilboyfor this cracker....

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:43:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Was A Wicked colour I guess It must have been 1966.........?
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:14:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

That Was A Wicked colour I guess It must have been 1966.........?

No, definitely later than 1966. In the '60s, the kerb around the clock followed the wall, so it was square-shaped (with round corners). Also, the keep-left bollards were a 1970s addition.

Incidentally, the fake half-timbered building to the right of the clock is the old Gas Showrooms; you can see various gas appliances in the windows. I think it's a betting shop these days.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2144 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  14:48:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike was it a gas shop?Always thought it was electric shop and the gas one was in the precient but just asked other half and he said gas [he thinks] so look's like i'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  15:29:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kay16

Mike was it a gas shop?Always thought it was electric shop and the gas one was in the precient but just asked other half and he said gas [he thinks] so look's like i'm wrong.

Yes, it was the Gas Board showroom. You can just about make out the word "GAS" above the window at http://www.sirhowy.com/walks1.html (first picture on the page).

Mike

Edited by - mike on 05/02/2011 15:29:39
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2144 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  15:55:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were right mike as like i said my other half said the same as you, it's just me and my memory loss haha. So it was the lecky shop that was in the precient then or am i wrong there too?
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  16:02:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike
If I remember correctly the Electric showroom was on the corner facing the Cam more or less ajoining the the Gas showroom, I may well be wrong
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  12:28:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a gas showroom looking at the photo below from 1973

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  12:36:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre
I`m relating to fifthies and sixties
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  15:40:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Morgan is right. At one time part of the building was occupied by the elctricity board. Part of the building also housed the British Restaurant during the war, subsidized by the government. On a post to the forum last year someone mentioned having worked in the British restaurant. At one time that entire corner was the Freemasons Arms and behind that, on Coronation St, the Freemasons Vaults. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2144 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:12:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Emrys i didn't imaging it then about the electricity board in there?
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
309 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  21:20:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the colour of the clock - the original photograph looks like the colour was added afterwards, similarly on the blinds over the shops

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  23:16:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what year would it have been then, Trefilboy any ideas..???
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  23:37:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can remember having a Good haircut in a Hairdressers ( In the 70's ) next door down to the Gas showroom , from memory there was a large double entrance and steps for the both shops . turn left for the gas or right for a haircut , if my memories right I believe the Hairdressers was called Shipmans..??
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
309 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  01:19:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fredd, If you look at the photo it shows TGR66 in the lower right corner, so if this follows the other photos I have, it would mean 1966

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  19:43:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can remember having a Good haircut in a Hairdressers ( In the 70's ) next door down to the Gas showroom , from memory there was a large double entrance and steps for the both shops . turn left for the gas or right for a haircut , if my memories right I believe the Hairdressers was called Shipmans..??

Malcolm shipmans

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  19:45:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trefilboy

Regarding the colour of the clock - the original photograph looks like the colour was added afterwards, similarly on the blinds over the shops

trefilboy

i seem to remember the clock usualy being a pale blue

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  19:51:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarkus

quote:
Originally posted by trefilboy

trefilboy

i seem to remember the clock usualy being a pale blue

...Yes me too It was like a Duck egg blue....
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  20:32:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Malcolm shipmans

...That's going back a bit Tarkus, I was starting to doubt Myself on the name of the Hairdressers as I've never came across it before on the Tredegar Forum...!!......Thank You..!
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  20:42:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remember it well,never went there though

Go to Top of Page

Canuck

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  03:57:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and the missus had quite the debate over the Gas or Electric showroom, and also what was in the shops between the Corner Cafe and the Circle Cafe and between The Cam and the Circle Cafe? We seem to recall a fruit and veg shop next to the Coner Cafe but names escape us. Any help guys and gals?
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  08:54:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck

Me and the missus had quite the debate over the Gas or Electric showroom, and also what was in the shops between the Corner Cafe and the Circle Cafe and between The Cam and the Circle Cafe? We seem to recall a fruit and veg shop next to the Coner Cafe but names escape us. Any help guys and gals?

I can't remember many details, but my Nan used to shop in a grocer's or greengrocer's shop on or near the corner of The Circle and Market Street. She called it Walter's, but I don't know if that was the owner's first name or surname. It closed when he passed away in the early 1950s.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  09:17:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before the Gas Showrooms there was a Grocery Shop run by Cliff Price Morgan, who was a local Magistrate with Dr. Bryant and Bruce McPherson.

I can't remember another grocery shop in the Circle. There was a small one in Bridge Street - Lucas, with Russell's butcher's shop on the opposite side of the road.

Edited by - Bryan Rendell on 08/02/2011 09:18:27
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  09:26:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the shop i remember between the circle cafe and the corner was suttons

Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  09:34:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

the shop i remember between the circle cafe and the corner was suttons

That rings a bell! Sutton's on one corner, and Meeson's sweet shop on the opposite corner?

Thinking more about "Walter's" shop - I'm not so sure now that it was a greengrocers. It may have been a newsagents. My memory is failing me

Mike
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  09:40:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
suttons sold crocerys and i think newspapers i used to buy my comics from there

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.