Jones/Parker families
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  09:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am visiting the Tredegar area in May, so that I can see the different houses, hopefully, and the burial places of my Grandfather Frederick Josiah Jones's family. He and hs brother Walter Adolphus were born in the workhouse at Pontypool, to their mother Florence Jones. She came from the family of Henry Jones and Miriam Gooder, both born in Blackwood.
Does anyone know if Walter Adolphus has his name on a 1st world war memorial? He died in Plymouth Citadel Military hospital in 1919,and is buried at St Sannan Cemetary, with I believe his mother Florence and stepfather Harry Parker.
It has been a long journey to find this family, as my Grandfather deserted my Gran and father when he was only a baby.

Also, the address that Florence (Jones)and Harry Parker were living in when they died within 6 months of each other in 1930/31, was 42 Railway Terrace, Hollybush, which someone told me was a shop run by them. Also, a girl in the family was an accomplished musician, and played in a big orchestra in London..perhaps the Halle? It may have been Eva Winifred Parker 1906. Any info about any of the above would be welcome. To finish, is there anywhere in Tredegar or Pontypool maybe, where it's possible to see old newspaper reports?
Thanks

M Smith

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  14:44:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you visit Tredegar in May drop by St Sannans
Church, Bedwelty, which is about eight miles from Tredegar. The sexton is nearly always there, at least has been during most of my many visits there. He keeps the burial records and given the year,(and hopefully the date) he will likely direct you to the gravesite of Walter Adolphous and his folks. Good luck. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

marith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  15:21:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Emrys,
St Sannan is top of my list.

M Smith
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  18:18:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The village of Hollybush is still there - around 3.5 miles south of Tredegar on the A4048 Newport road. There's not much of Railway Terrace left, though - just a handful of houses tracing the line of the old railway.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

marith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  22:11:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. I was hoping that there would be a number 42, or that someone would remember it.....

Margaret

M Smith
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  10:26:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emrys

When you visit Tredegar in May drop by St Sannans
Church, Bedwelty, which is about eight miles from Tredegar
. The sexton is nearly always there, at least has been during most of my many visits there. He keeps the burial records and given the year,(and hopefully the date) he will likely direct you to the gravesite of Walter Adolphous and his folks. Good luck. Emrys

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.