New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  20:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Uncle Bob for taking the time to upload the follow two train photo's for us to see.

For more Tredegar Train photo's, please click here

Ulysses on the right with Sir John Wyndham Beynon on shed at old T.I.C Workshops 8/7/1952

National Coal Board 060ST HERCULES the same design as ulysses
Avonside, works No 1805 of 1918)at Tredegar on 08 July 1952.

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  21:37:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Allways Bob , Very interesting photo's ,Would you know where the second photo was taken..? Thanks.!
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
308 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  00:25:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did these trains run? I remember a set of tracks that ran from what I believe was Ty Trist, down over the coal tip at the Peacehaven bridge (between the main line rail tracks and the river) to just above Bedwellty Pits, and I also remember an engine coming off the end of the tracks there - probably around the late fifties. As young kids (probably early teens) I remember walking up to the crew who were trying to get it back on the tracks and eventually even getting to go on the engine.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  03:40:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted - 14/07/2010 : 00:33:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I vividly recall the Hercules and Ulysesses locomotives alternating in moving wagons across Park Place, passing the gas works then proceeding the entire length of Glyn Terrace, (not many feet seperating the railway lines from the pavements ) and Brompton to empty the wagons "down the "tip". There was also a spur line from Ty Tryst crossing Vale Terrace joining this line and heading to the tip. One or the other of these very "wheesy" ( both seemed to be constantly emitting steam from various sources) locos would slightly derail just south of the gas works and the driver and firemen, (always very old men in my memory ) would soon get the loco back on track using a very large leverage apparatus known as a Sylvester, (also used underground where it was referred to by miners as "my brother, Sylvest." Like everyone else at that time I accepted the presence of engines like this being very close to residences without fencing etc, but in later years have marvelled how everyone accepted and adapted to what could have had very dangerous consequences. I recall only one incident (in the "30's) where a young girl lost a leg after near the Yard Gates at the end of Commercial St.She wasn't hit by a train but was playing on the wall adjacent to the track and fell into its path. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  09:42:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

As Allways Bob , Very interesting photo's ,Would you know where the second photo was taken..? Thanks.!

By the background its the bottom of georgetown hill/Bethel Ave
TIC had an extensive rail network as can be seen on an old map of the town elseware on this site,the locomotives were Built,rebuilt and serviced localy right up to NCB times at the central work shops
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  10:37:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how memory plays tricks! I had Hercules down as a small 0-4-0, not much bigger than a coal truck. It makes sense, given the names, that it was an 0-6-0 like Ulysses and Menelaus. I was probably confusing it with the Sir John Wyndham Beynon.

Incidentally, i wondered why a locomotive would be named after a science fiction writer, but I guess it was named after the other John Wyndham Beynon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Wyndham_Beynon,_1st_Baronet

Mike
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:44:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike

It's funny how memory plays tricks! I had Hercules down as a small 0-4-0, not much bigger than a coal truck. It makes sense, given the names, that it was an 0-6-0 like Ulysses and Menelaus. I was probably confusing it with the Sir John Wyndham Beynon.

Incidentally, i wondered why a locomotive would be named after a science fiction writer, but I guess it was named after the other John Wyndham Beynon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Wyndham_Beynon,_1st_Baronet
hi mike you've got wrong info there about sir john he was an engineer for the ebbw vale iron and coal co.
Mike

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1645 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  21:11:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The locos ran down to and past the gasworksas others have stated. Just above the river bridge by the station there was a coalyard to which the locos delivered.
Likewise they delivered to a coalyard where the bus station was and approx where the car park now is. To get there they crossed Church St at the Yard gates, described with previous photos..
Of course their "main line" was from the works down to Ty Trist. To do this they crossed the road just down from the current Post office depot at the bottom of the Prom.
There were no gates but a chap with a red flag lived in a tiny hut at the crossing. For many years it was a Mr Williams who lived in Harcourt Tce. To my knowledge there was no man when the locos crossed the main road nr the Gasworks.
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  21:18:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

The locos ran down to and past the gasworksas others have stated. Just above the river bridge by the station there was a coalyard to which the locos delivered.
Likewise they delivered to a coalyard where the bus station was and approx where the car park now is. To get there they crossed Church St at the Yard gates, described with previous photos..
Of course their "main line" was from the works down to Ty Trist. To do this they crossed the road just down from the current Post office depot at the bottom of the Prom.
There were no gates but a chap with a red flag lived in a tiny hut at the crossing. For many years it was a Mr Williams who lived in Harcourt Tce. To my knowledge there was no man when the locos crossed the main road nr the Gasworks.

hi milkman i think that the fireman jumped of to stop traffic i remember tat we had to be extra careful not to run over hot coals deposited on the road by the passing loco when we were on our bikes!
you didn't get a puncture you got a great hole!in the tyre

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  09:31:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nameplate on National Coal Board 040ST SIR JOHN WYNDHAM BEYNON (Peckett & Sons; works No 1565 of 1920) at Tredegar Central Workshops on 02 May 1969.

Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  12:59:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

Yes fredd, the houses in the background are in Bethel ave,i've been meaning to go to the same spot to upgrade then and now on the forum
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  20:07:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were 2 railways carrying spoil from Ty Trist.One ran south parallel to the main line towards Bedwellty Pits.The other went north to the works and then south through Park Place where there was a spur into the gas works,down the tip between the 2 roads of Glyn and Vale Ter ,and behind Brompton to the tip below Troedrhiwgwair .there was a disused spur outside 3'4,and 5 Brompton which went towards Peacehaven .at the bottom of Brompton there was a loop so that the empty wagons could be shunted past the full ones.Men would jump in the full wagons while they were stopped to look for coal.a few made a living scavenging coal from the tip.In the 1940s a train was derailed in the snow at the junction of Brompton and Vale View.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  21:02:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uncle bob

[quote]Originally posted by fredd

Yes fredd, the houses in the background are in Bethel ave,i've been meaning to go to the same spot to upgrade then and now on the forum
[/quote ..... I've seen a Similar photo before Bob, But the background is So Incredibly Different to what it's like now .. ??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.