New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  20:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... Any ideas about the Venue they were playing and any names for the musicians.Im told that it looks like Elwyn Evans was on the organ and therefore it must have been his band , I was originally told it was Hubert Johns Band in the Queens Ballroom but further investigation tells me otherwise. I assume its over sixty years ago any suggestions welcomed

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  21:13:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one greatpicture, thanks fredd for posting it.
Its the first I have seen when the "Queens" was actually the "Queens".

To see the outside of the building (in case you cannot place it in town), please click here.

Gezza

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  03:23:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! that is Elwyn Evans sitting at the organ and that is his brother David on drum's. you will know David better as " Evans transport Tredegar " He had his home and transport yard at the bottom of sirhowy.

I do not think that the venue is the " Queens " I used to frequent that place and I dont Remember ceiling/roof beams ever being in the queens. Also I dont recall the windows and wall lights.

Gezza
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  07:50:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you will find thats the BULLRING
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  10:34:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that Elwyn Evans's brother was David Evans, also known as Dai Steel or Dai transport, I didn't realise that he was on the photo though ,
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5380 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  12:57:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great picture Fredd ,showed it to my friends earlier on ,they can remember seeing this band ,they said what lovely times it was then and what fun it was.............Could have sat there all day listening to their stories ...they were fascinating ..
Go to Top of Page

leisa evans

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  13:25:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. Thanks for posting this photo. This is of my great uncle Elwyn Evans and my grandfather David Evans (Dai Steel) on drums and their other brother Ozwald Evans on Double Bass. The band was called The Georgians, I believe taken around 1953-54 at I think The Bullring. My grandfather David had this photo on his mantle piece for many years and we even still have some live recordings of the band from back in the early 50's. How wonderful to have this photo on the site. Does anyone remember any of the other members of the band? I will ask my father as he will probably recall them!
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  13:58:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Leisa and Welcome to the Tredegar Forum , It Really is a lovely interesting old photo.! I know that the Gent sitting to Elwyns immediate right with the clarinet and the saxophone was John Hurlow, We would love to see some of your old photo's preserved on the forum , for locals and indeed ex pats from all around the World to see and cherish, Thank You..!!
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  14:05:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leisa
I drove for your Grandad in the fifties and it was a family affair on the nights in the Bullring along with your Great Grandmother and Grandad doing there bit etc, Tickets, and the cloakroom.
Say Hello to your Dad Robert.
Go to Top of Page

leisa evans

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  14:06:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fredd. Indeed I will get some photos posted. Will also speak to my father who will recall more names from the band. Thank you again. Brought a tear and smile to my eye all at the same time!
Go to Top of Page

leisa evans

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  14:19:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Morgan. Well how wonderful. My great grandfather Tom Evans and his wife Maria (affectionately known to us as Pa and Ma) I know ran the dances with my grandfather, Elwyn etc. My father Robert often sat next to my grandfather as a young boy. I recall many warm stories about the dances and our live recording of the dances that my grandfather preserved bring it all to life again. You can hear people laughing - wonderful! I recall my grandmother Dorothy telling me about the tea and sandwiches she made with Ma. My father is fit and well and living in Gilwern. I will pass on your wishes. Email me with any stories - I am so interested. I will post photos in due course as I have a huge family album of bygone years and happy memories dating back to 1920s. Very special. Thank you for getting in touch.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  14:20:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leisa evans

Hi Fredd. Indeed I will get some photos posted. Will also speak to my father who will recall more names from the band. Thank you again. Brought a tear and smile to my eye all at the same time!

Hello leisa
if it helps, scan in the photos and send them into webteam@Tredegar.co.uk and we will place on the server and give you he link to post them on the forum.

Welcome to the town website

leisa evans

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  14:28:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Pierre. Will do.
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  19:41:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morgan

Where was the BULLRING to Morgan?
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  19:56:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top Drill Hall
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:09:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Top Drill Hall

???? None the wiser.
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:15:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I was a bit vague, go pass the 24 hour garage where the road narrows into Dukestown road and the Hall is on the right, I don`t know what its used for now, was used by Acorn windows at one time
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:28:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opposite the house that Georgie Muscles lived in ..
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5380 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:53:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gjj43

quote:

Where was the BULLRING to Morgan?

I didn t know where that was either .
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:56:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go, please click .here

cupcake

5380 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  21:16:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pierre ,fancy emrys still got his ticket for the dance .....thats amazing.....
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  21:30:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Really Is Amazing Cupcake that Emrys has still got his ticket, for may the second 1932 at the Bullring..!!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  21:50:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here it is, click .here

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  21:57:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Pierre, It Really Is Amazing..!!
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  05:42:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry I was a bit vague, go pass the 24 hour garage where the road narrows into Dukestown road and the Hall is on the right, I don`t know what its used for now, was used by Acorn windows at one time

Cheers Morgan,got you now,used to be the old cash and carry place in the late sixties early seventys
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:56:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gjj43

quote:

Cheers Morgan,got you now,used to be the old cash and carry place in the late sixties early seventys

I remember it being that to, BOB brand goods i think it was

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.