TOWN NEWS
 Schools & Blaenau-Gwent Council in Trouble
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marwis

63 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BBC lunchtime news states Blaenau Gwent County has been placed under special measures after a report of it failing education standards.

It must provide a new plan in 50 days and an inspection team will be appointed to oversee all 34 schools in BLAENAU GWENT.

Webteam
Webteam

23582 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  18:41:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Video Below

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  19:11:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't BLAENAU GWENT council get anything right???
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2141 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  19:50:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to say 'i told you so' but guess what 'I Flipping Told You'!
Uncle Bob i think the answer you're looking for is a big fat NO!
But even so it dosen't give me much pleasure because there are thousands of children's education involved in all of this and they are the ones suffering. They are the ones that have been badly let down yet again [there is always someone being let down by these idiots] by these incompetent council.
If the WAG had any sense not only would they take back the running of the county's education from them but they should take back charge of B/Gwent from them too as it plain and obvious that they can't do the job properly.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2141 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  23:20:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to today's South Wales Argus, Neath and Port Talbot Council are talking over the control of Education in BGCBC.
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  19:29:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if mr hillman is architypical of a councilor perhaps their ought to go on a course on how deal with the media,he all wrong the suit,dark glasses and repeated himself on the questions put to him but this does answer the problem of education of local children so lets get a internetdebate on this parhaps your guys are too close to the trees on this.i call on all 'local' teachers near and far away to start this ball going. would tableing a vote of no confindence and vote these people out of office maybe not, they got everyone into this mess and runing away from the problem does'nt help.
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  07:17:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is they don't know how to fix it. They're very good at making a mess but less than able to clear the mess up. I've been here 3 years now and the more I see of Mr Hillman and his colleagues the more they remind me of a committe running the local Working Men's Club complete with sniping & back biting. They do not come across as confident or capable of running a Council the size of Blaenau Gwent and the actions of the Council reinforce this view. It'd be funny if it wasn't our money and our services being screwed up. The Council needs a total clear out IMO. Get some fresh blood in that isn't driven by old allegiances and union alliances, who aren't there for their own self-serving power trips and who can see the issues across the County and start to address them fairly (ie Ebbw Vale isn't the onlytown in BG!).

You are also correct about his media performance - in fact I saw the interview on the 6:30pm news and the first thing I said to my OH was he shouldn't have the sunglasses on.
Go to Top of Page

marwis

63 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  13:50:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continue reading the main story
ESTYN'S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BLAENAU GWENT
The authority should:

Raise skills levels and secure better outcomes for learners at all key stages and in the youth support service
Challenge schools more robustly and provide prioritised support for schools according to need
Identify and challenge under performance in schools
Evaluate the effectiveness of provision both within the education service and across partnerships serving children and young people
Increase pupil attendance rates in all schools
Secure sustainable improvements in the percentage of post 16 learners in full time education, training or employment
Improve scrutiny of the council executive to account for the performance of local authority services and hold head teachers to account for the performance of individual schools
Improve provision for learners with additional learning needs
Source: Estyn report
The task force from Neath/Port Talbot hve been given quite a job!!!I wouldn't want to be a member of this task force!!!!
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2141 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  14:21:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Samstan,that's exactly what is said to my other half as we were watching his interview 'Why the hell didn't he take the glasses off [unless it's a medical condition] as then ,well to me anyway, you can at least look at his eyes to see if he's truthful or not [eyes give so many people away!].
He also come over very arrogant and bullish[ but what's new!] when the lady reporter asked him if he was going to resign. The Exec member [who did at least have the decency to resign] should have been first to go and Hillman should without a doubt have been second.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1633 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  16:13:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very soon after we voted for increased powers for the WAG it was announced that Wales had slipped further down the education list. It is the worst in the UK and about the same as Lithuania.
I write this only to say that if Wales is in a pretty poor way and BG is much worse than that then God help us (or rather help our children)
Wales was noted for its good education some 40-50 years ago and many of us have friends who have done really well.
I truly hope that todays youngsters will get something approaching the start that we were so lucky to get
Go to Top of Page

Webteam
Webteam

23582 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  18:24:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the person that sent the below in...

Looks like Somebody's "Lovin' It"!

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  18:46:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im Lovin' it too ..... !!! .. .. .. .. ... Classic..!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.