Cefn Golau cemetery - Evans family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evansfam

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  22:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me where Church south Centre B is in the old part ? I found Section B & C ( B was about 40yds straight in front of the entrance & then to the right)so carried on directly from this row, but no luck. Searching for John Evans died 1898.Also,what's happened to all grave stones on the cleared area left of the entrance ?Any help appreciated.

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  19:12:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the gravestones that were cleared from left were broken up and used to fill the
gabion baskets in the sirhowy river near glanhowy school in the early 70's

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  20:31:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw them Head stones recently packed into sguare wire cages, as you say in the river about 20 or 30 yards north of the footbridge near Glanhowy School, Obviously they cant be read as their in the cages layed out flat on top of each other , I did'nt know where they were from ,but still thought What a Sacriledge to use them for that purpose.......
Go to Top of Page

tonyg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  22:58:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with you fredd - that could be our ancestors! - They should be made to put them back.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13771 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  08:42:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know what the law is for the removal of headstones ?

Can it be done after so many years ?

Does it need the permission of surviving relatives ?

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  09:03:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that after 99 years the burial plot reverts back to the council check it out Pierre.
Go to Top of Page

evansfam

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  19:47:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. I'll write to Blaenau Gwent as of course they'd have copied the info from the gravestones before breaking them up ! There's no plan of the cemetery as the ONE copy was lost when the sexton's office as broken into,but there's still a 10 charge for any details they hold. Was there a church at the cemetery as I've still no idea where church south centre- B would have been?
Will let you know of any reply I get from the Council.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  20:28:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the church would be about where you described section B or may have been a little less than 40 yrds in.There may be some more recent graves on the church site now.I think it was demolished late 1980's

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13771 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  11:26:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

I saw them Head stones recently packed into sguare wire cages, as you say in the river about 20 or 30 yards north of the footbridge near Glanhowy School, Obviously they cant be read as their in the cages layed out flat on top of each other , I did'nt know where they were from ,but still thought What a Sacriledge to use them for that purpose.......

Are these them Fredd ?

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  14:16:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They could be Pierre, I did'nt see them, the cages I was looking at were a bit further up but on the other side of the river
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  17:22:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think those may be newer ones P that were put there when the footbridge was renewed.The ones fredd saw may be some of the original ones though.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13771 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  18:06:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about these ?????

Look old enough to me ???

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  20:59:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats the area Pierre the stones were more to the bottom of the stacks and from memory more the school side , a lot of what can be seen in your photo are old kerb stones. I saw a similar sight about 100 yards down stream where the river that comes down from dukestown channels into that river, as you turn left off the dukestown road to go down the hill by the Bell look over to your left
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  02:04:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the 1878 map of Tredegar two chapels are shown in Cefn Golau cemetery, one named Episcoplian and the other Dissenters,(noncomformist), one either side of the main pathway.I recall seeing one chapel many years ago but it has long since been demolished. I have seen headstones there dated prior to 1898 so I think the chances are good that John Evans's grave could still be there. There are however old graves there without headstones.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.