General Discussion - Tredegar
 Rememberance Service
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cupcake

5386 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  11:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just been down the park ,what a marvellous turn-out and a very touching service ,Cupcake .

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  13:43:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..Well it was Superb weather for a change, for this very touching Remembrance Day event.! .... But what put a dampner on it for me was after the Wreathes were placed at the foot of the monument, the band started playing lovely. And then they were drowned out by the Loudspeakers on a white van shouting ragbone ragbone any old iron......!!
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1975 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  19:06:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fredd, we will have to keep a close watch on our beautiful cenotaph or it will soon be on the back of those disrespectful idiots lorry,they will steal anything for a quick buck. butch
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1975 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  19:07:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fredd, we will have to keep a close watch on our beautiful cenotaph or it will soon be on the back of those disrespectful idiots lorry,they will steal anything for a quick buck. butch
Go to Top of Page

sparky

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  19:28:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to say outstanding turn out and a great service today how many of you went ?
Go to Top of Page

chris98

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  20:24:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was a nice turn out i was there marching the one with the white hackle in my beret best turn out for yrs
Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  21:41:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the Tredegar Branch of the Royal British Legion, and also to Tredegar Town Council, who jointly organized our Town Act of Remembrance.

And for the first time in many years the PA system worked.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  21:50:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..Was You one of the Speakers Father John, Before, and after the 2 minute silence ..??
Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  08:37:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  09:45:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fr John

Yes

...Well Done Fr John, It was a Great Service..
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2011 :  17:34:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A picture taken today.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1975 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  20:09:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great picture pierre,very fitting for a beautiful memorial
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  21:25:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another picture.......

Something in the back of my mind that the soldier is only one (or two?) to have its gun pointing upwards?

Byran, have I got that right

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2141 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  22:38:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noticed in the letter page of the G/Gazette today, 2 letters complaining about the state of our monument,wanting to know why it was in such a state and why none of the 5mill had been spent on it, not even cleaning it.
Have to say when i went down and had a look at it on park open day it did look pretty clean to me but that was months ago.
Beautiful pics,all the more poignant after watching the news tonight with the repatriation of the Rhymney soldier.
Go to Top of Page

sparky

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  20:26:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't think it supposed to have the green bits and the stones with the names of the fallen always look stinking .
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  22:29:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reply to Pierre's question.

I have been reliably told that the stance of 'Present Arms' is unique, and again I'm told that it is the only one in Great Britain.

Go to Top of Page

TYG

83 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  20:45:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bryan, its definitely not unique. I've been to the the one in Ilford, London and its almost identical to ours.

"if God has no sense of humour, I'm in trouble."
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:32:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi TYG
I have just looked at the monument and as you said its identical, they have a programe upgrading the Park between 2010-2013

taken from the web site
The Ilford War Memorial Garden has a tremendous historical importance and is a unique and priceless asset for the people of Redbridge.
The garden incorporates a range of features, pictured in figure 1 below including:
#61656;
A memorial hall and commemorative First World War infantry soldier statue
#61656;
A rotunda
#61656;
Formal rose beds
#61656;
Mature shrubs beds
#61656;
Mature lime trees
#61656;

in the search I entered ==Ilford, London fallen warrior monument
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:51:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CLICK ON THE ILFORD SITE

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2385216
Go to Top of Page

TYG

83 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:53:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the Ilford one:

On checking it out, it is the same sculptor as ours: http://www.ukniwm.org.uk

Tredegar is ref 2016 and Ilford is 2067.

I don't know whats sadder - that I visited the Ilford one or that I know how to confirm this stuff

"if God has no sense of humour, I'm in trouble."
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  20:27:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poppy's left by the people/groups from Tredegar...

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  16:18:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Info on plaque by the place in question.....

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  21:38:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will teach me never to listen to informed gossip, even if from people in the know.

Well done TYG
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.