Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  12:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Emrys for the below

have attached some photos which have no connection to Tredegar but they may have an appeal to any forum members interested in locomotives, (Uncle Bob comes to mind) as at least one is much bigger than any seen in the U.K. I took these photos last June when visiting Scranton in Pennsylvania where I visit periodically. In Scranton they have a huge collection of vintage railway locomotives called "Steamtown" . At one time when we lived there Scranton had four railroad companies and they all operated on their own railway lines, mostly hauling coal from the many local coal mines. I have set out below a description of the first engine shown in the attachment and which you may care to show on the Forum. My own photograph so no copywright is involved. There wouldn't be much call for this loco hauling coal from Pochin.

Caption
Worlds largest locomotive."Big Boy." (on display in Scranton.Pennsylvania) It was one of 25 built in 1941 at Schenectady, New York,. With tender and fuel it weighs 600 tons and could travel at 70 MPH pulling a load of freight cars five miles in length. It has four cylinders each measuring twenty three and three quarter inches in diameter. Its wheel configuration is 4-8-8-4 and the first four driving wheels and bogie are articulated, that is on a pivot so that these wheels could move to match the contours of the rails on curves.

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  14:48:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Tred connection with Scranton.
I will check and update asap.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  22:02:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Emrys....Reading the Caption I Certainly Would'nt Want To be in charge of that Brute, Passing a Bridge Anywhere.. 60 Tonnes Pulling 5 Miles of Freight Cars..... Definitly No Chance...!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  22:13:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got to watch this

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  22:43:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

Thank You Emrys....Reading the Caption I Certainly Would'nt Want To be in charge of that Brute, Passing a Bridge Anywhere.. 600 Tonnes Pulling 5 Miles of Freight Cars..... Definitly No Chance...!!!!

Edited by - fredd on 19/12/2011 22:44:48
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  20:44:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant find the important chap from Scranton who hailed from Tredegar. I think he was John F Davies, originally from Brynmawr but was in Tred before emigrating.
There is a v strong Brynmawr connection with Scranton, which was one of the most important industrial towns in US
A bit like Merthyr, which was bigger than both Pittsburgh and Solingen(GermanY). And was the biggest town in Wales.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  21:04:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

Cant find the important chap from Scranton who hailed from Tredegar. I think he was John F Davies, originally from Brynmawr but was in Tred before emigrating.
There is a v strong Brynmawr connection with Scranton, which was one of the most important industrial towns in US
A bit like Merthyr, which was bigger than both Pittsburgh and Solingen(GermanY). And was the biggest town in Wales.

......Ask Emrys..!!
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  21:26:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John F Davis was born in Tredegar in 1809 (died in 1820). He saved the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company from banhruptcy by beig able to re-light furnaces when everyone had failed.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
304 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  22:16:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the last 7 yrs before I retired I worked for a company headquartered outside if Philadelphia Pennsylvania, so I spent quite a bit of time down in PA. I was always amazed by the amount of Welsh named towns and people of Welsh heritage I saw there - I made me really proud of my Welshness

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  22:51:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi emrys,is it possible you made an error with john f davis's age,only he seemed to have accomplished a lot in his incredibly short life of eleven years. i hope you dont mind me mentioning this, lol. have a very happy xmas. butch. p.s. fantastic loco's
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  23:04:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by butch

hi emrys,is it possible you made an error with john f davis's age,only he seemed to have accomplished a lot in his incredibly short life of eleven years. i hope you dont mind me mentioning this, lol. have a very happy xmas. butch. p.s. fantastic loco's

.....That Was A Kick below the belt Butch......
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  23:45:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry fred it wasnt inended to offend, but i could see the funny side of it, i'm sure emrys will too.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  01:58:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Butch and Fred. In June of 2010 I visited Scranton where
I was born in 1929. The local Mining Museum had a week long festival celebrating the early Welsh emigrants while I was there, (in 2010 not 1929) and it was there I saw a plaque commemorating the services of John F Davis, (probably started life as Davies with an E). I questioned the staff about the year in which John died and was told that was the information they had even though it was clearly wrong. The only other reference I found in the Museum about people from Tredegar was about Clifford Pugh who emigrated to Scranton in 1923 and whose tools and mining certificate were kept there in the museum. Welsh miners were very much welcomed there because of their mining experience but even so all had to do a period of apprenticeship before obtaining a Miners Certificate. There were obviously many others whose records are kept somewhere,(my parents knew several) maybe in the museum itself. When I was christened I was held in the arms of Dave Lloyd, then a millionaire coalmine owner, but who had been born in Sirhowy.
When my family moved back to Wales my parents chaperoned a young lady named Lavinia Morgan. The last I heard of Lavinia was that she was living in Stocktonville when her daughter was very friendly with mine.
Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  04:44:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my last post ( re;John F Davis) I explained how the wrong date of his death was passed on to me. I have since looked back at some of the literature I have collected during visits to Scranton over the years and can report that John was born in Tredegar in 1809, saved the company from bankruptcy in 1842 and died in 1882. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  04:51:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N.B. One of the early settlers in Pennsylvania was Roland Ellis who named his new home BRYN MAWR (meaning big hill) after his estate in Wales. His home in Pennsylvania later became the famous women's college
Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  21:12:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi emrys, thank you for the information,isn't it a wonderful achievement that so many young men made their mark in the USA. and other parts of the world and they were from the WELSH valley's,something to be proud of dont you think? regards butch
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  11:40:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so easy to forget just how great the Welsh Valleys were.
Tredegar in particaular was quite staggering. The Sirhowy railway was working as a proper railway in 1829-
ie Before the Manchester Liverpool.
The 1st German loco Der Adler wasnt delivered by Robert Stephenson until 1835 and the famous Glyn Taff railway in 1840.
We now know about Dan Gooch who was the real GWR man since Brunel had so many projects on the go. In fact Swindon, as a town, is entirely owed to Gooch. (I know he wasnt born in Tred but he acquired his knowledge here)
A number of Tred people were really distinguished in US, one was very close to becoming president.
Somehow it should be better known

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  19:34:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only Tredegar born senator I am aware of was James John Davies, born in Tredegar on October 27 1873 who was elected as a U S Rebublican senator in 1930. He could never have become President however as the U S Constitution requires that the President be born on U.S soil. I qualify in that regard but at 83 my only ambition is to become 84. When still Governor of California,Arnold Schwarsenegger tried to have the Constitution changed so that he could run for President as did Henry Kissinger years earlier. I still have my first U.S. passport issued in 1932 plus my current U S passport, together with my British/European Community, and Canadian passports. Also have my U.S. Draft Card by which I was liable to being called to serve in the American armed forces. Have to say that America would have to be in a much worse situation than it is to need my services now.
There are a great number of American celebrities, politicians and actors etc,who very proudly claim to have Welsh roots but few here in Canada, at least that I am aware of. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  20:01:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

A number of Tred people were really distinguished in US, one was very close to becoming president.

Was that Charles Evan Hughes? Although he was American by birth, his father was a Tredegar man who had emigrated to America.

Charles Evan Hughes' grandfather was Nathan Hughes, who had a printing shop in West Lane, and ran a school there.

(edited for bad spelling)

Mike

Edited by - mike on 23/12/2011 20:02:44
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  20:38:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles Evan Hughes

http://www.nga.org/cms/home/governors/past-governors-bios/page_new_york/col2-content/main-content-list/title_hughes_charles.html
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  21:09:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Bit more on Charles Evan Hughes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Evans_Hughes
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  15:19:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank to Emrys who sent in the following image and info,

I expect ex Tredegar miners may be surprised to learn that a miner, however experienced elsewhere needed to go through an "Apprenticeship" (essentially work as a labourer for a short period) and obtain a certificate before being employed as a miner in Scranton and the wages they could expect,at least in 1902.
I expect this regulation was brought about by so many emigrants choosing to work in the coalmines for the first time and (hopefully) to ensure safety although the Scranton mines were anything but safe. My uncle, born in Gelligaer, was killed in a Scranton mine in 1937.

Emrys.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.