Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  14:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Titch for this picture

Titch added, "I recognise my Uncle in the centre of the picture but don't know what the occasion or location was, it looks like a school or scouts trip?

I think it is around the 30's but when I check up on my Uncle's DOB I will have a better idea.

It would be interesting to know if any members recognise any of their relatives or friends on the picture and to get some more info on it."

Any clues people ? Where and when ?

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  18:51:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..The Sign in the top right hand corner probably says Dormatory so it could be a school trip ..??
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  22:33:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're correct fredd
On the original photograph the word Dormitory is clearly visible.

Does anyone recognise the adults?

As the boys seem to be in overcoats it is probably either a winter trip or late Autumn.
Several are wearing what appears to be school caps.

Forum members are usually pretty quick at solving photos like this, so keep a clear head over the holidays folks and come out fighting in the New Year!

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  01:04:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man on right side of photo looks very much like Dan Lewis who taught at Earl St. Man on the left COULD be Ernie Evans who also taught at Earl St.Emrys
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  08:24:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could the location be the "Boys' Village" at Gileston/St. Athan?

I have a vague memory of going there on a school (or was it chapel?) day trip some time in the early 1950s; I think the dormitories looked similar.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  23:34:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it Mike, Gileston is familiar to me also, I remember going to visit a similar location with the same sort of hut, it rained all day of our trip, I recall playing table tennis in a hut similar to the one in the picture. I have wondered for years where Gileston was, I thought it was miles and miles away in England somewhere. Come to think of it I must have been when I was in Earl St as I would have remembered if it was when I was at the Tech.

Emrys it sounds ok as far as Earl St is concerned as I'm fairly sure my Uncle was a pupil there. He was born in either Coronation St or High St so it seems to make sense.

Thanks folks mush appreciated

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  23:39:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emrys any idea of the years that they taught in Earl St?

Correction, previous post should be 'Much appreciated' not mush! He lives in Canada!!!!

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2011 :  12:34:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello titch, ican't confirm this but the boy in top left hand side looks very like my father,so it could be about 1932 and that would make him about ten years old and he did go to earlsfield school also tried to spot ernie batten who was in school with dad but unable to spot him also the boy in second row third in on the left could be my old work mate dai gardiner.a happy new year to you.
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2011 :  14:40:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are thinking of 1932 and 10 yrs old that would be way out as Dai and Ernie was born about 1928 and they are around the same age as Emrys ?????
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  12:29:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello morgan, it goes to show that an assumation can't replace a fact,but i did know that my father and ernie were friends for a very long time and what a good place to start but school,my other problem is that my father hadly spoke of his early life and i have never seen a photo of him as a boy and the lad in photo does look like him.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  01:48:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think these are definitely Earl St pupils but just a year or two older than me. I started in Earl St in 1934 and left for the County school in 1940.I recognize some of the faces but can't recall their names.I rather think the photo was taken about 1936. Surprised to read about Earl St, pupils having school trips as I can't recall any that I took part in, plus had no more than three or four trips from the school to the swimming baths in the Park.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1631 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  12:04:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isnt that Rajah Evans, 2nd from left in 2nd row.
Didnt know Emrys went to the County! We overlapped for a few years.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  15:42:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Raja looked familiar also milkman and that would make sense, as he lived at the bottom of Coronation St where Ken lived, (Iron St or Iron Row I think)

Next but one to 'Raja" in the centre of the row is Ken Walters, can't confirm his DOB as I'm on the high (very high) seas between Cairnryan and Belfast and it's blowing a gale!
I will check when I get home later tonight (hopefully).

I hope it is our Dad indarkestplumstead if you can't run a copy off let me know and I'll e mail you one directly.

I think I'm going to need a Black bush as we progress on the high seas!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  15:52:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with you Tom and saying that the 6th one across looks like Bertie Stevens if thats so then its 39-40 we were both in school ourselves then only younger then I would agree with indarkistplumstead around that time would be Dai Gardner and Ernie Batten
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  16:02:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction

Your Dad (not our Dad) Sorry!

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  22:34:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Dai Gardner was in Earl St school the same time as me. I once posted a photograph of, Dai Gardner,, Dai Bennet, (I believe he was killed in a motor accident near Gwalia Stores) and Rees Bennet,(and others)at our desks in Earl St.. Dai Gardner joined the RAF the same day as me in 1947 so I think his birthday would be very close to mine. Dai Gardner travelled on the same train I did but we didn't notice each other 'til we got off the train in Padgate.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.9 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.