Blaenau Gwent & Bedwellty House Development
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  19:09:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked all Park Gates Chained + Locks

I Didn`t stop to read the Notices, perhaps someone on the forum could take a photo of such.
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  20:06:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The signs say something along the lines of 'Keep out - construction site. Re-open in Spring 2011'

Who's the best person to have a talk with to (legally) enter the park? The closure ruined part of my plan for a Tredegar calender now :(
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  20:29:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aussiewelshman

Facelift For Landmark House
Source - WalesOnline

In a report put to councillors on Wednesday, January 28, it was also recommended councillors approve and confirm the authority’s capital contribution of £408,000 to the project and consider additional monetary commitments that may be required when the site reopens.
The committee decided to approve Blaenau Gwent Council’s capital contribution to the project, including prudential borrowing, and also that the additional capital and revenue required to make the project sustainable should be considered.

the project is a good one and will hopefully help tredegar when it is finished.

Given:
'The committee decided to approve Blaenau Gwent Council’s capital contribution to the project, including prudential borrowing, and also that the additional capital and revenue required to make the project sustainable should be considered.'

i hope:

1. where the £408,000 and any future council contribution gets spent will be fully documented for the public to see;

2. local companies will be used where possible, with tender bids published;

3. there will be complete transparency in the appointment of staff for the project and afterwards;

4. elected councillors for BG and TTC will be excluded from jobs at bedwellty house for a reasonable period after completion.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  13:31:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morgan

Checked all Park Gates Chained + Locks

I Didn`t stop to read the Notices, perhaps someone on the forum could take a photo of such.

Here we go ...

I don't think its the right thing to close all the park. What about all the people for example that use the park for wedding photo's and all that ?

Go to Top of Page

nermal

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:16:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The park will be closed for health and safety issues as the project as a whole will be undertaken by a contractor who is then responsible for the safety at the park .It won’t be the safest place to go wandering round unfortunately The plans look amazing and it’s about time we had something put into Tredegar I agree!!.
The park will be open for Remembrance Day each year, and the local camera club are being allowed to take photos before during and after the restoration project to keep a record of the changes within the park and house. After the project is over there should be some park keepers to keep an eye on things along with staff who will manage the house.
I was looking at some lovely old photos of the park as it was about 60 years ago this weekend and it was truly a wonderful park and a full day out back then. I loved the ladies shelter which I’m too young to remembered (only just I expect I’ll ask my mam when it was knocked down anyone know?) and the Orchid house which was really lovely let’s hope it brings people, economic activity and fun to the town especially for the people who live here.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:20:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a matter of interest, does anybody know what financial gains are expected from the upgrade of Bedwellty Park ?

I would have thought that such financial forecasting information must have been given for the grant to be approved.
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:38:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they have seen waht a success Bry Bach Parc has been and based they forecasts on that. It's been absolutely packed up there this week and we're only at the beginning of Spring.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  20:43:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always great to see the people in both parks.
Lets hope the restoration works goes to plan :o)
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  21:47:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nermal

..The plans look amazing...

Any chance of a look?
Go to Top of Page

daizulu

South Africa
61 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  11:20:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how many visitors/tourists Tredegar gets each year, but surely one of the biggest attractions is the park.

It doesn't make sense to me to close off the entire park. Won't this have a negative impact?

Ceers

Daizulu
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  14:53:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Park has been in a terrible state for years Dai. Pierre did have some pics of the duck ponds which are now rat ponds. The play areas were still useable and ok for kids to use unless they were confronted by boozed up teenagers.

It really is in a sorry state.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  20:58:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Morris,

This pic?

Taken in July, 2008.

Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  22:59:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are people going to get fined if caught in the grounds now?
I noticed quite a few workers in there yesterday/today, cutting bits of trees down here and there.

Was really hoping to get a decent shot of the kingfishers up there soon :(
Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  16:29:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I passed the bottom gates today and they have cut a lot of trees down already! I've also popped along to have a look at the plans, and it does look very impressive. The house will look a lot different and has the potential to be a real money spinner - weddings, conferences, bars and cafe.

On a different note, I noticed that the housing development by the comp has now started. There are two portalcabins on site and a few site guys in hi-vis.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  18:52:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be great to see when complete :o)
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  22:18:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Park Closed For £5m Revamp
Source - WalesOnLine

TREDEGAR’S Bedwellty Park has closed to the public as work starts on the £5.5m restoration of the park and historic house.

Bedwellty House and the lodge house will remain open as normal for the time being.
The only access to the house is now from the town centre through the main gates next to the lodge.
Blaenau Gwent Council is leading the restoration work, but the £5.5m project is a partnership between the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Parks for People programme, the Heads of the Valleys programme, CADW and the Welsh Assembly Government.
The final plans for the two-year restoration of Bedwellty House were published in the autumn of 2008 – following extensive consultation with organisations and local people in Tredegar.
Bedwellty Park was closed to the public on Monday, 9 March 2009.
Three contractors are starting work on site – cutting down trees, laying electric cables for new lighting, clearing shrubbery around the duck ponds and building improved land drainage on the eastern side of the park.
Coun Jason Owen, Executive Member for Leisure and Culture, said: “This is a project that is important for the regeneration of Tredegar and for the development of tourism and visitor attractions right across the Heads of the Valleys area.
“Bedwellty House is a fantastic facility because it has such a great heritage and such strong links with Aneurin Bevan and the foundation of the NHS. Our aim for the restoration is to make sure the house and park become a hub for community use and a new and vibrant centre for tourists and visitors.”
The Grade II listed Bedwellty House and its grounds has hosted many public events during its past – Aneurin Bevan was Tredegar’s first Labour elected councillor and the council chamber in the house was his first political platform.
The municipal link continues to the present day as the house hosts Tredegar Town Council meetings and is also used by Blaenau Gwent Council.
Bedwellty Park includes a number of listed structures and heritage features such as the icehouse, the bandstand, the boundary stone, the war memorial and the world famous 1851 Great Exhibition block of coal.
The restoration of the park will involve major arboriculture work and restoration of the long shelter, kitchen garden, fishponds, grotto and cast-iron fountain.
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  00:47:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was the question raised about the wildlife in the town park before they started chopping all those trees down? I've not had the chance to speak to one of the foremen working up there yet, but thought I'd ask on here first.

Will get some pictures of the place up tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  17:27:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A big thank you to the person that sent in the following.

This is what our park will be like

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  19:40:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds absolutly lovely.

Lets just hope they do have park keepers there to patrol and keep out all the yobs who do not appreciate their surroundings. It would be such a shame if it got vandalised. I cannot understand the mentallity of people who do it as they have to live there and can see what they are doing to the area.

It's the same with litter I cannot bear to see litter. I want to fine everyone I see dropping it. The only trouble is these days I am too frightened to confront the person , so go away muttering under my breath. I sometimes wonder if people think I am mad It's the usual case of the minority spoiling things for the majority.

O.K. rant over can't wait to see it. ( if I live that long )

Val

Edited by - valll on 28/03/2009 22:49:35
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  21:08:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's a bit missing pierre :)

33. Palatial office for town clerk, to include bar, wine cellar, full sized billiard table, jacuzzi, italianate marble fireplace, annexe for twin filipino personal assistants, picture of queen, picture of god, picture of town clerk with queen and god.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  22:22:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
picture of town clerk with queen and god.

Shame he will not be there to enjoy it
Go to Top of Page

xtype
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
356 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  19:44:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
going is he
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  19:49:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooo yes.........

Will be doing a "collection" for him soon.......
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  20:20:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
valll

"It's the same with litter I cannot bear to see litter. I want to fine everyone I see dropping it. The only trouble is these days I am too frightened to confront the person , so go away muttering under my breath. I sometimes wonder if people think I am mad It's the usual case of the minority spoiling things for the majority."

Been saying things like this for years now and still NO ONE dose diddly squat about it. To many yobs and the like are now above the law or is it that the POLICE dont give a fig with all this "we are not aloud to do this and that cos we will be the ones in court " Where are all the laws (that were not needed cos there are laws in place to deal with the problems anyway)that Mr G brown and his cronies (that seem to be above the laws of the land also)have made in the past umpteen yrs.

Its the G.O.M. one more time.

PS

It should be a nice place to spend time when its finished and I to hope it will be a safe place to go enjoy without fear of the low life.
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  21:04:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep what it the point in having laws when they aren't implemented or are too soft. We might as well do away will all laws and have all out anarchy. You never know perhaps society will re-right it'self.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.