New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

billbaily
Advanced Member

314 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  12:42:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like bollards will be installed on the pavement at the bottom end of Oakfield Road. This has been a long time coming and it's been a daily worry for pedestrians trying to stay safe on the pavements. Perhaps this will decrease the amount of traffic as they will not want their cars dented - who knows we will have to wait and see. Shame there has been 2 incidents to my knowledge of parents being bumped by vehicles for action to be taken. A meeting took place this morning and a text sent out.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1607 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  20:56:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have suggested this simple solution to councillors many times, over the past two years, I would like to think my very simple solution had some effect, and hopefully make it safer for all.
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  10:57:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too butch I find the staff very helpful the only problem if you need an afternoon appointment you need to wait quite a while but listening to others we are much better off than some people .I have heard some patients being rude when they canít get in I donít think that helps anyone .
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  11:00:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry everyone posted the above on the wrong forum
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1607 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  17:02:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easily done Angel, perhaps Pierre can put it right?!!
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  21:30:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks butch my head doesnít belong to me today or it could be age related
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

314 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2020 :  20:00:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2020 still no change, cars everywhere on pavements, especially on the hill leading up to the school. Moving cars mounting the only pavement and they do this to make room for oncoming cars to pass them. Same large dark vehicle with private number plate parked on the pavement outside someone's hard standing in Oakfield Road. Junior children are prevented from walking safely along this path. A young 7 year old boy was knocked down and killed by a minibus on the Hereford Road recently, I hope to God this will never happen at our school. Incidents have happened here and will happen again mark my words! Has anyone seen our 'traffic wardens' because I haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Welshjude

23 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2020 :  20:15:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traffic wardens? That's a joke. More likely to see the Abominable Snowman.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1607 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2020 :  21:55:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to cap it all, a very large white delivery van was trying to pull out of the of the infant school delivery area, and because, there were cars parked right across the school frontage, the pavement was completely blocked, what a shambles!!! Its about time these invisible wardens concentrated more of their time, doing their job around the schools.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86

143 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2020 :  08:46:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mentioned it before - infrastructure not fit for purpose. Wardens are not the answer to this problem. This is 2020 not 1960. Children are not allowed anymore to walk alone to schools and every parent owns a car these days. There should be an american style pick up/drop off point by every school. Otherwise there will be always chaos. Warden will come one day, give few tickets and the next week everything will be back to normal.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1353 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2020 :  10:49:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last I heard there were two traffic wardens for the whole of Blaenau Gwent, you could be waiting for a while
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

314 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2020 :  14:21:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely risk assessments should take place regarding deliveries to the school and even refuse/recycling collections along Oakfield Road. All this should take place at a lower risk time when children/parents are not going to and from school. Why are there cars parked in front of the school steps - on the pavements, that doesn't make sense to me. Parents congregate here to pick up their children, so you have to weave in and out of parked cars to catch sight of your child. This is such a lovely school but it is such a shame that irresponsible drivers are making it a huge problem to get children there safely and without risk.
Go to Top of Page

djholly
Advanced Member

630 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  00:09:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any traffic warden will not be placed in problem areas but financially productive areas (where people have no choice) but to park where they shouldn't. The council couldn't care less about children/accidents only revenue
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86

143 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  10:08:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djholly

Any traffic warden will not be placed in problem areas but financially productive areas (where people have no choice) but to park where they shouldn't. The council couldn't care less about children/accidents only revenue

We need to meet for a drink one day. It's on me.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1607 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  13:30:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I'm quite sure that you will put the world to rights,over a pint.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86

143 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  13:42:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely. That is always the best place and time to put the world to rights :D. You very welcome to join.
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  16:23:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The traffic wardens/BGCBC are making a fortune over Ebbw Vale college and leisure centre. All the parking bays are for 30 minutes only and no return within 2 hours. What can you do in 30 minutes in the college or leisure?
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1607 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  20:30:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can learn,not to park for more than 30 minutes. But seriously, it's pathetic, and easy money. Yet more useless jobsworths.
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  09:57:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Welsh news last night, they were showing four primary schools in Cardiff where cars are banned from the school road for one hour in the morning and afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

Welshjude

23 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  11:31:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I saw that on the Welsh news. I think it would be a good idea but wonder how they would manage it logistically. I try to avoid the area when I know itís going to busy but itís not always possible. I could go ďthe long way homeĒ but I always encounter parked cars and oncoming cars which ever way I go. Im sure there must be a solution.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86

143 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  15:11:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony

On the Welsh news last night, they were showing four primary schools in Cardiff where cars are banned from the school road for one hour in the morning and afternoon.

Hahaha! Typical UK. Don't know how to improve or make more effective? BAN IT!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13664 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2020 :  18:00:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody see any improvement in the parking situation since the Council took aver issuing parking tickets last year?

Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

314 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2020 :  20:07:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely No improvement! It is starting to get even more hazardous with ice & frost on the pavements, especially going up the hill from Gladstone Place up to Oakfield Road. The sun doesn't thaw this area as it is in the shade. Some pedestrians are having to walk on the road as it's getting really slippery. Not an ideal situation with the amount of cars trying to get up the hill too.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1607 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2020 :  22:31:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the pleasure of having to run the gauntlet each week, so know the situation first hand. When I attended the school, it was a secondary modern, that was a long time ago, and there were no cars whatsoever, so the school run, was then done on foot. Looking back, there was, no cars, no fumes, no danger, now wasn't that just great!!?.
When the school was demolished in the eighties, traffic was quite heavy back then, but the powers to be, decided to rebuild the school in exactly the same place. Georgetown school was overflowing, within weeks of reopening, so, not much foresight there. No wonder it's choked up with vehicles, the approach road, particularly the lethal S bend where thoughtless drivers think it's ok to park, and clog the whole road up making it extremely dangerous for parents, and children who are walking to school. They know who they are.and should not be on the road, they are putting everyone in danger.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

314 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  19:57:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard today that the traffic wardens were up at Georgetown School recently booking people, has anyone heard the same. It was manic Monday afternoon so I guess it wasn't that day they came. Today wasn't much better either!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.