Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 TOWN NEWS
 Reply to Questions Raised by Local Resident.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  11:35:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like TTC website is back online at this URL:
http://www.tredegartowncouncil.org/
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  14:04:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  21:01:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please see below the latest offerings we received from Tredegar Town council.

This time, it's another "threating" letter.

Hope somebody is making a note of how many this is to date?

Notice that he does not say "who's" name has been published on this web-site.

Maybe Mr Evans is trying to scare us all ?

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  08:36:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.

The names of all former politicians are on line, in (current & archived) news items for example.

There is no mention of whom this "former colleague" is, nor where it is posted.

Thanks for the suggestion of "removing the information". We might just wait until we receive an official notificaion.

What is this guy a 'Doctor' of....? Spin?

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  11:17:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Tredegar Town Council has not suppled us with the Audited Accounts of the council (showing in detail what they spend our money on...), we have been forced to make an official complaint of Tredegar Town Council to the Information Commissioner's office.

The Information Commissioners office have now been in contact with the Town Council, and Tredegar Town council are currently under investigation for breaches in the Freedom of Information Act.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  18:21:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done.... Like somany around and about that think they are above the law I can only hope heads will roll.

Yep its the G.O.M. again
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  18:22:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done.... Like so many around and about that think they are above the law I can only hope heads will roll.

Yep its the G.O.M. again
Go to Top of Page

tuxan

11 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  17:53:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

My 8 year old does a better job letter writing then they do......

Was telling myself I would get a descent reply after the "seeking legal advice" shambles of before, but at lest I can say their communications is constant.

Go to Top of Page

tuxan

11 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:00:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your problem???

You wrote a letter and got a reply - what did you expect War and Peace?

Every question was answered .. you might not have liked how the answer was written, but that is probably down to how question was put. If you ask a question that requires a yes or no answer why get upsaet when you get yes or no as your answer.

PS 'descent' is going down the woprd you neede was decent, 'purile' is not even a word - you needed puerile ..
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:50:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tuxan

What is your problem???

Every question was answered .. you might not have liked how the answer was written, but that is probably down to how question was put. If you ask a question that requires a yes or no answer why get upsaet when you get yes or no as your answer.

perhaps the letter could have been phrased differently, but the intent was clear and the response was disappointing. as a council tax payer i would hope that people who i pay to work for me, not for the queen, or a god, would do a better job of providing answers to perfectly reasonable questions and not be obstructive in their conduct.

quote:

PS 'descent' is going down the woprd you neede was decent, 'purile' is not even a word - you needed puerile ..

i like your use of humour in this fragment :)

regards

sean

p.s. perhaps we should organise a communication skills course for forum members to improve their spelling and grammar, me included by the way.
Go to Top of Page

tuxan

11 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  21:06:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy to be wrong on this - but I thought that town councillors (who I think do not a bad job) do it for free whilst the level of incompetence at borough councillor level has to be paid for ..
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  21:29:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm happy to be wrong on this - but I thought that town councillors (who I think do not a bad job) do it for free whilst the level of incompetence at borough councillor level has to be paid for ..

town councillors do not have a job with power. giving a few hundred pounds to various charities is about all they do of importance.

the town clerk gets paid and it was he who wrote the various replies to letters asking questions. he also seems to to have said/written various other things, which i think should result in disciplinary action.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

Penfold

Australia
118 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  02:28:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something should be done about the Clerk and his replies, manner and the way in which he "serves" the town that pay his wages! But will it happen?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  10:03:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is your problem???

Every question was answered .. you might not have liked how the answer was written, but that is probably down to how question was put. If you ask a question that requires a yes or no answer why get

upsaet

when you get yes or no as your answer.

Well I for one will not enter into pedantry, so as not to get upset at the word above, highlighted in bold.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  22:31:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is your problem???

No,
No,
No,

And I quote "they must display the information in full and in a well presented and meaningful manner", thats direct from the information commissioners office, something that they did clearly not do.

Just one reason why they are being investigated.

Its a shame. Maybe they could have delivered a lot more, but fell at the first hint of a question asked of them...

PS
Not 'woprd' but 'word', and not 'neede' but 'need'.

I like a nice graph myself. Displays all the information in one bang, wouldn't you say ?

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  09:52:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE - APRIL 2009

Well its time to update you all on the events of the last 8 months regarding our enquiries on the finances of Tredegar Town Council.

As you might have gathered, it was not easy to get the audited accounts from Tredegar Town Council. It took the involvement of the Information Commissioners office, and the threat of enforcement action before they delivered the accounts to me as requested.

This now means that Tredegar Town Council is now on record with the powers that be for not following the Freedom of Information Act, something which is their own fault. As you will see in the report, several people in the Council were copied in on the letters, so they all knew what we requested, and what Tredegar Town Council was (not) doing about it.

We also had what I would call a threatening/intimidating letter from Tredegar Town Council during the time we were trying to retrieve their audited account. You will see the letter in the links below.

When we got hold of the accounts, it become clear why they did all they could not to provide us with the information.

Remember, this is their audited accounts. All the data come from them.

Just one or two points for you to think about before you dive into the full report we wrote on the accounts.

Tredegar Town Council - Some highlights

So there you go, they only give away 8.1% of the money they get from the council taxpayer of Tredegar to clubs (via s.137). It spends more on "office costs" then it gives away. So maybe give that a thought the next time you see them in the local press.

Add to that the £28,000 spent on "general Entertainment", and the £87,000 on "Office costs", and don't forget the overinflation rise in Council tax even with ever increasing reserves in the bank (80k+, of our money) its clear why they did not want to provide the towns folk with the details requested.

£25,000 on stationery & equipment in 6 years !

Shame on them, shame on all of them.

View and download the full report now (including the first report we did last year), by going to www.tredegar.co.uk/ttc (or clicking on Town Info, then Town Council on the main menu)

Now I wonder who I can send this info too

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  21:16:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letter sent out today to Tredegar Town Council.....

1st May 2009

Finance Committee / General Council
Tredegar Town Council
Bedwellty House,
Morgan St,
Tredegar,
Gwent
NP22 3XN

CC: Other Individuals / relevant Organisations.

Dear Finance Committee/General Council,

REF: Council Tax Increase for 2009/2010

I wish to ask the Finance Committee and general council what were your requirements that you needed to fulfil that lead to your decision to increase the Council Tax that Tredegar Town Council has imposed on the people of Tredegar for the 2009/2010 financial year.

The 5% imposed on the Council Tax payers of the town by Tredegar Town Council is far greater then any other town in Blaenau-Gwent, and even greater then that of the Police force. These other organisations did not require a 5%, and it must be noted that they pay significantly less then the people of Tredegar for their own Town Council. This means that these other local town are at an advantage over Tredegar.

The inflation rate set by the bank of England at March 2009 was at .5% vastly different from the increase you imposed on the town’s people, indeed 10 times that amount.

I note that in your amounts, the figure in reserve was close to £90,000 in 2007, and this amount has been increasing year after year. Indeed, it has been over £100,000 in the very recent past, but you keep increasing the burden of the council tax payers of the town regardless. Why couldn’t the financial committee of Tredegar Town Council justify using these monies when Tredegar is amongst the biggest depression since 1945 (a direct quote from the current chancellor of the exchequer), then when can you justify spending it?

Since I obtained the audited accounts via the Freedom of Information act (which required help and intervention by the commissioners office to make Tredegar Town Council comply), I would also like to bring to your attention (and ask you to comment) on some other items which you, the finance committee and general council have approved over the last few years. Basically, this has meant an increase to the Council Tax payers of Tredegar some 109% in just 11 years, and unfortunately for the town, Tredegar is now the most expensive town to live in Wales.

• The increase between 1996 to 2007 from the tax payers of Tredegar to Tredegar Town Council is from £52,000 to £122,000. This is an increase of 109% in 11 years.

• A massive increase in Council Tax bills for the people of Tredegar in 2003, with over 93% Increase.

• In 2003, the revenue for Tredegar Town council from the Council Tax Payer of Tredegar went up from £62,000 to £120,000 in just 12 months!

• Tredegar Town Council has approved the staffing costs of Tredegar Town Council which have risen by 141 % in 6 years.

• Staffing costs in 2006/2007 was almost 50% of the total money raised by the Council Tax bill by Town Council.

• In seven years, Tredegar Town Council has approved the spending of over £84,438 on total office (excluding staffing)costs.

• In six years Tredegar Town Council has approved the spending of over £25,000 on stationery & equipment.

• In eleven years, Tredegar Town Council has approved the spending of over £28,000 on general entertainment.

I note that you have increased the Council Tax by the maximum allowed as set by the government. If this figure was set higher then 5%, would the Council approve a greater increase, and if so based on what?

With the people of Tredegar being squeezed with the current recession and one of the highest jobless figures in the country, I look forward to being informed why your 5% increase was justified with such a large amount of Council Tax Payers monies already in the bank?

In the interest of getting the best value for money for the Council Tax payers of the town, can you please discuss the merits of outsourcing all the limited activities of Tredegar Town Council to a third party, or handing all the limited activities undertaken by Tredegar Town Council over to Blaenau-Gwent Council who on investigation appear to look after the Tax Payers of Ebbw-Vale more then adequately.

As per the other few times I have contact Tredegar Town Council, I am requesting that you please respond to my correspondence via e-mail at the e-mail address given at the top of this letter. All other occasions you have ignored my request to e-mail me a responce, and posted a response instead. Yet more tax payer’s money wasted.

So in summery where on earth lies the justification for another over inflation whacking 5% increase imposed by Tredegar Town Council on to the people of Tredegar when we are in the middle of the biggest recession since the war?

Rgds,
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  16:19:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think at the end of the day this is politica and may when it was said that lega advice was asked for, mat be it wasnt leag as such but just general help in rgards to the answers they do provide.

the above have commented on the actual council memebers, if they are that bad why are non of the above standing memeners?
any member of the public can join any party then can be elected to stand for town council?
have any of the above who think that tredegar town council is that bad actually applied themselves?

if you are not happy with the responce you are getting from the council why do you not attend the general meetings which are currentl haelf at Bedwelity house, i believe every other Wednesay?
any omember of the public can sit on these meetsins, have you done this yet or will you be considering this as i feel it is easier to write a letter than it is actually to stand up and be counted.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  22:01:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgetmenot...

Please see:- http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3320&SearchTerms=council
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  23:50:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgetmenot,

quote:
it is easier to write a letter than it is actually to stand up and be counted.

I live in the Sirhowy ward, not one vote has every been cast for Tredegar Town Council in the Sirhowy ward, every. Not a singe vote......., what does that tell us ?

So thats quite easy to count. a big fat zero....

I'm also sure that if things were going to be "done" as you put it, then they would not be written on the public forums on this site.

Cause that forgetmenot, well that would be silly, wouldn't it.

Great to see Ebbw doing so well without a town council......

Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  18:56:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgetmenot, are you linked in some way to the council as I notice that most of your posts are pro-council or pro their decisions?
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  19:48:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF he/she is then do you expect them to own up? Na I dont think so cos they would get to much of an ear bashing after all its now open season on councils, councillors and MPs.

Tis that G.O.M. again
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  09:01:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,

i do not have a direct link with the council, i just happen to like some of their policies and i like to think that i am an optimist.

If i did have a link to the council i would eb the first to addmit, why wouldnt i?

howeverm i do sit in on meetings like i suggest some other do as this is how you learn about their decision making, how and why they make their decisions.

i used to have the opinion of many of the above but when you actually take a front see and see what they do and why it is very interesting and i think very justified, even if it is not obvious to jo average.

i also dont believe that the council would make any decisions unless justofied, they couldnt by law.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  10:08:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, ho hum

The G.O.M.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  15:06:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for my ignorance but what does g. o. m stand for :-)
sorry to have to ask lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.